Ahh, you guys! I'm so excited to share this recipe with you!
I've long been searching for the perfect Paleo brownie recipe, but couldn't find one I liked. After I discovered the power of plantains in baking, a light bulb went off in my head.
After a couple test runs, I found the perfect recipe to make these delicious treats. Using a ripe plantain and coconut butter are key to making these babies taste soft and amazing. And you would be surprised by the fact that you can hardly taste the plantain flavor.
I made the icing with coconut cream and raw honey, which makes for a creamy, whipped cream like topping. I found it to be the perfect amount of sweet, and just the right combination on top of chocolate.
Hope you enjoy!
Some of the links below are affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosure here.
Flourless Coconut Butter Brownie Bites
Makes: 24 brownie bites
- 1 ripe plantain (yellow with brown spots), chopped in 4 pieces
- 3 large dates, pitted
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup coconut butter, softened
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 can coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- Heat the stove to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Coat your mini-cupcake pan with coconut oil, or whatever coating you prefer.
- Blend the plantain and dates just enough to break everything down. This will make it easier to blend the rest of the ingredients since the plantain and dates can initially be a bit hard to blend.
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the blender. Blend until smooth and no lumps are remaining.
- Pour your batter into the mini-cupcake pan, filling each about three-quarters of the way full.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Place your coconut milk can (not opened) in the refrigerator overnight. During this cooling process, the milk and liquid will separate, and the coconut milk will solidify into a cream at the top of the can.
- When you are ready to make the icing, place your mixing bowl and whisk in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to chill.
- Open the can of coconut milk and pour out the liquid into a separate bowl. You can save the liquid for later use in smoothies or for baking purposes.
- Scoop out the coconut cream and pour into the chilled mixing bowl.
- Mix with a handheld whisk or mixing stand until soft peaks form.
- Add the raw honey, and continue mixing until fully combined.
- Pipe the frosting onto your brownie bites once the brownies have completely cooled.